Ball State University Athletics
Men's Basketball Inks Two More Recruits
May 03, 2006 | Men's Basketball
Steve Horton (Cincinnati, Ohio/Western Hills H.S.) and Jarelle Redden (Cincinnati, Ohio/Western Hills H.S.), who both completed their sophomore seasons at Cincinnati State Technical College last season, have each signed a National Letter of Intent to attend Ball State University and compete for the men's basketball program, according to first-year head coach Ronny Thompson.
"The thing I love about these two is they are tough, competitive kids," Thompson said. "The direction I want to go with our program is to get tough, gritty guys. Steve and Jarelle approach the game like they have something to prove every time they step on the court."
Horton, a 5-foot-9 guard, averaged 13 points per game last season and ranked sixth in the nation with eight assists per game. He earned the Jack Cistriano Award as the best player under six foot at last year's national tournament.
"Steve is a tremendous floor leader," Thompson said. "He likes the up-tempo style and brings a real toughness to our program."
Redden, a 6-foot-2 guard, who like Horton was a two-year starter at CSTC, averaged 15 points per contest a year ago, ranked sixth in the nation in steals (4.0) and 11th in the nation with nearly 10 rebounds per contest.
"Jarelle can guard the one through three positions," Thompson said. "He's a good shooter and has the intangibles every coach looks for. He's a natural leader."
Horton and Redden join six-foot-10 transfer Micah Rollin, as the second and third recruits, respectively, signed to play at Ball State for Thompson.



