Ball State Cardinals (6-4; MAC 4-2) at
Northern Illinois Huskies (7-3; MAC 5-1)
Huskie Stadium - Field Turf
DeKalb, Ill. -- Tues., Nov. 15
7 p.m. (CT) -- 8 p.m. (ET)
Television: Ball State's game at Northern Illinois will be nationally televised on ESPNU . . . Rob Stone (PBP) and Danny Kanell (analyst).
Radio: Ball State Radio Network -- WLBC 104.1 FM Muncie (Morry Mannies, Play-by-Play; Mark O'Connell, Analyst)
Morry Mannies is in his 56th and final season as the play-by-play
announcer for Ball State football and men's basketball . . . The
"Voice of the Cardinals" announced his retirement from Ball State
broadcasts Aug. 27, 2011.
Sports Link Radio on WCRD (Ball State Student Station - FM 91.3)
(Pat Boylan, Play-by-Play; Kyle Binder, Analyst)
Live Stats & Internet Radio: ballstatesports.com
Ball State 2011 Team Captains: Sean Baker (Canfield, Ohio/Canfield H.S.), Kreg Hunter (Lebanon, Ind./Lebanon H.S.), Adam Morris (Dublin, Ohio/Scioto H.S.), Briggs Orsbon (Convoy, Ohio/Crestview H.S.) and Andrew Puthoff (St. Henry, Ohio/St. Henry H.S.) have been selected as team captains for 2011.
Scouting Ball State: Ball State improved to 6-4 overall and 4-2 in the Mid-American Conference with a 33-31 victory at Eastern Michigan . . . With its sixth victory of the year, the Cardinals have become bowl eligible for the first time since the 2008 season . . . Ball State's game at Northern Illinois marks the third straight road games for the Cardinals . . . Ball State is averaging 143.0 rushing yards and 233.0 passing yards per game in 2011, while allowing opponents 210.0 rushing yards and 280.7 passing yards a contest . . . Keith Wenning (Coldwater, Ohio/Coldwater H.S.) has completed 228-of-354 passes for 2,233 yards with 15 touchdowns and nine interceptions this season . . . Jahwan Edwards (Matthews, N.C./Butler H.S.) leads the Cardinals with 68.1 rushing yards per game and 10 rushing touchdowns . . . Briggs Orsbon leads the Cardinals with 52 catches, 498 receiving yards and four touchdown catches . . . Travis Freeman (Cleveland, Ohio/Glenville H.S.) leads Ball State with 101 total tackles plus has added six tackles for loss, four sacks and one interception . . . Sean Baker, who is Ball State's career interceptions leader, has 66 tackles, two TFLs, one sack, two interceptions and four pass breakups.
Last Game Highlights: Ball State's Steven Schott (Massillon, Ohio/Washington H.S.) kicked a 44-yard field goal with nine seconds left in the game . . . Torieal Gibson (Cleveland, Ohio/Glenville H.S.) caught a 94-yard pass from Keith Wenning for the Cardinals first score of the game . . . Jamill Smith (Muncie, Ind/South H.S.) tallied a career long 78-yard kickoff return.
- Ball State tallied its sixth victory of the season at Eastern Michigan to become bowl eligible for the first time since the 2008 season, and in its first year under head coach Pete Lembo.
- The Cardinals have won six games for the fourth time in 10 years . . . Ball State managed 12 wins in 2008, seven victories in 2007 and six wins in 2002.
- Ball State controls its own destiny in a quest for the Mid-American Conference West Division Championship . . . The Cardinals are one game behind Northern Illinois and Toledo in the standings with two games left for Ball State . . . Wins in both of the games would guarantee the Cardinals no worse than a tie for first in the MAC West Division.
- Ball State has converted on 36-of-40 trips inside the Red Zone in 2011 . . . The Cardinals are tied for 15th in the country for Red Zone Efficiency, and have scored 200 points from within the Red Zone.
- The Cardinals have allowed only nine sacks this season and are tied for 15th in the nation for fewest sacks allowed . . . In net punting, Ball State ranks 20th in the latest NCAA statistics with a 38.95 average . . . The Cardinals are averaging 12.71 yards per punt return, which ranks 16th in the country.
- Some of Ball State's other top national statistical rankings include fewest yards penalized (14th), fewest penalties per game (24th) and tackles for loss allowed (7th).
- Ball State's football team has played on television 23 times in the last three seasons . . . The Cardinals are scheduled for an ESPNU game at Northern Illinois and could possibly be on ESPNU in its season finale vs. Toledo.
• Ball State is 20-13 in its last 33 MAC games . . . The Cardinals won their final three MAC games in 2007 and all eight league contests in 2008 for 11 straight conference victories, which is the second longest league winning streak in school history.
Scouting Northern Illinois
The Huskies: Northern Illinois is 7-3 overall and 5-1 in the Mid-American Conference after tallying a 45-14 win at Bowling Green Tuesday night.
The Coach: Dave Doeren (Drake '94) is in his first year as the head coach at Northern Illinois and his first season as a collegiate head coach . . . Doeren came to NIU after spending the previous five seasons at Wisconsin.
Scouting NIU: The Huskies average 41.6 points per game, while allowing 33.4 per contest . . . Northern Illinois is averaging 250.4 rushing yards and 235.8 passing yards per game, while allowing 248.3 passing yards and 189.9 rushing yards a contest . . . Chandler Harnish has completed 168-of-267 passes for 2,256 yards with 20 touchdowns and four interceptions . . . Harnish also leads the team in rushing with a 102.2 yards-per-game average . . . Nathan Palmer leads the Huskies with 34 catches for 473 yards and four TDs.