Baseball vs. Kent State in MAC Tournament Game Two
Mid-American Conference Tournament
May 21-25 at All Pro Freight Stadium in Avon, Ohio
Thursday (8 p.m.) -- No. 1 Ball State vs. No. 4 Kent State
Mid-American Conference Postseason Awards
• MAC Coach of the Year - Rich Maloney
• MAC Player of the Year - Sean Godfrey
• MAC Freshman Player of the Year - Jarett Rindfleisch
• MAC Freshman Pitcher of the Year -- Zach Plesac
• All-MAC First Team - Sean Godfrey, Zach Plesac, Jarett Rindfleisch, Ryan Spaulding
• All-MAC Second Team -- Sean Kennedy
Head Coach Rich Maloney (#2)
Career Record: 667-428-1 (19 Seasons)
Record at Ball State: 326-184-1 (9 Seasons)
Mid-American Conference Record: 178-76 (9 Seasons)
Ball State is ranked 26th in the nation in the latest Collegiate Baseball Poll
• Ball State improved to 39-16 overall with a 5-3 win over Western Michigan in its first round game of the Mid-American Conference Tournament Wednesday afternoon . . . Ball State won the Mid-American Conference Regular-Season Championship, the MAC West Division and earned the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament with its 22-4 record in 2014 . . . The Cardinals swept five three-game series over MAC teams this season -- Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Kent State and Northern Illinois . . . The five MAC series sweeps are a Ball State school record.
• Ball State’s 22-4 (.846) conference winning percentage was the sixth highest in the nation in 2014 behind only Indiana (Big Ten), Liberty (Big South), Wright State (Horizon League), Alabama State (SWAC) and Louisiana (Sun Belt).
• Ball State head coach Rich Maloney earned his school record-setting 324th win in Ball State’s 4-1 win at Northern Illinois (5/16), which clinched the MAC Championship for the Cardinals . . . He has 667 career wins with 326 of those coming as the Cardinals’ head coach.
• The Cardinals were 13-2 at home this season, which was the progam’s best mark at home since going 13-2 at Ball Diamond in 2010.
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Ball State ranks in the top 50 in various categories: home runs (12th), home runs per game (12th), strikeouts per nine innings (20th), runs (26th), slugging percentage (25th), scoring (31st), hits (35th), doubles (37th), on-base percentage (44th), doubles per game (49th) and winning percentage (21st).
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Sean Godfrey ranks in doubles (9th), runs-batted-in (16th), total bases (25th), doubles per game (25th), hits (40th) and RBI per game (24th) . . . Zach Plesac ranks in victories (2nd) . . . Scott Baker ranks in games started (8th) . . . T.J. Weir ranks in strikeouts (6th), games started (8th) and strikeouts per nine innings (16th) . . . Ryan Spaulding ranks in sacrifice flies (46th).