This Week in Ball State Baseball
Wednesday: at Ohio State (6:35 p.m.) -- Columbus, Ohio
Friday: vs. Western Michigan (3 p.m.) -- Muncie, Ind.
Saturday: vs. Western Michigan (1 p.m.) -- Muncie, Ind.
Sunday: vs. Western Michigan (1 p.m.) -- Muncie, Ind.
Head Coach Rich Maloney (#2)
Career Record: 654-424-1 (19 Seasons)
Record at Ball State: 313-180-1 (9 Seasons)
Internet Radio/Live Stats -- www.ballstatesports.com
Joel Godett (play-by-play)
• Ball State is 24-12 overall and 9-2 in the Mid-American Conference . . . Ball State suffered a 6-5 non-conference loss at Butler last week before winning two of three games in a MAC series at Toledo.
• Ball State head coach Rich Maloney earned his 300th win as the Cardinals’ head coach with a 15-2 victory over IPFW at Campbell (3/15) . . . Maloney now has 654 career wins, with 313 of those coming as Ball State’s head coach . . . He needs 11 wins to become the winningest in school history.
• The Cardinals are 8-0 at home this season, which is the progam’s best start at home since starting the 2002 campaign with an 11-0 mark.
• Ball State’s 9-3 start in 2014 was the best for the Cardinals since beginning the 1981 campaign with a 9-3 mark . . . Ball State started this season with a 3-0 record, which was the best start to a season for the Cardinals since the 1985 campaign when they opened the year with four straight wins.
• Ball State was picked to finish first in the Mid-American Conference West Division in the league’s preseason poll, which is selected by the MAC’s 12 head coaches.
• Ball State finished second in the MAC West Division last season and advanced to the championship game of the conference tournament before being eliminated by Bowling Green. The Cardinals’ improvement from a 14-36 record in 2012 to a 31-24 mark in 2013 marked the eighth best turnaround in the NCAA.
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Ball State ranks in the top 50 in various categories: home runs (15th), home runs per game (15th), runs (25th), slugging percentage (25th), hits (28th), scoring (31st), strikeouts per nine innings (34th), batting average (35th), winning percentage (45th) and doubles (48th).
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Sean Kennedy is 47th in batting average . . . Sean Godfrey is ranked sixth in doubles, 14th in doubles per game, 11th in runs-batted-in, 20th in RBI per game, 23rd in total bases, 33rd in home runs, 34th in stolen bases and 49th in home runs per game . . . Zach Plesac is ranked 10th in the nation with seven pitching victories . . . Scott Baker is third in the country with 10 starts on the mound, while T.J. Weir is 21st with nine starts . . . Weir is 25th in strikeouts and 35th in strikeouts per nine innings.