Men's Tennis Advances to Semifinals of MAC Tourney
TOLEDO, Ohio - The No. 4 Ball State men's tennis team (18-9) managed a 4-0 victory over No. 5 Toledo, Thursday in the quarterfinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament.
The Cardinals took the early 1-0 edge over the Rockets after winning the doubles point. The Ball State twosome of Patrick Elliott and Andres Monroy finished first after beating Garrett Cona and Bryant Dudzik, 8-2 on court three. Toledo won at No. 1 doubles but Zane Smith and Derek Carpenter rose to the occasion again this season at the No. 2 spot earning an 8-5 victory over Grant Adams and Nick Wong for the doubles point.
In singles action, Dalton Albertin took down Leo Sarria 6-3, 7-6 (5) at No.2 singles which put the Cardinals up 2-0 over the Rockets. Elliott won 7-5, 6-4 on court five over Dudzik to make it a 3-0 match; then true freshman Ray Leonard won in three sets over Tomas Stillman at No. 1 singles to earn the win for Ball State.
The Ball State men's tennis team will be back in action Friday, as they play in the semifinals against No. 1 Buffalo at 10 a.m.
(4) Ball State def. (5) Toledo, 4-0
1. Leo Sarria/Tomas Stillman (UT) def. Dalton Albertin/Ray Leonard (BSU), 8-3
2. Zane Smith/Derek Carpenter (BSU) def. Grant Adams/Nick Wong (UT), 8-5
3. Patrick Elliott/Andres Monroy (BSU) def. Garrett Cona/Bryant Dudzik (UT), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Ray Leonard (BSU) def. Tomas Stillman (UT), 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(3)
2. Daltin Albertin (BSU) def. Leo Sarria (UT), 6-3, 7-6(5)
3. Nick Wong (UT) vs. Zane Smith (BSU), 6-1, 2-6, unfinished
4. Grant Adams (UT) vs. Austin Smith (BSU), 4-6, 6-1, unfinished
5. Patrick Elliott (BSU) def. Bryant Dudzik (UT), 7-5, 6-4
6. Terence Weigand (UT) vs. Alexandre Brym (BSU), 7-5, 4-6, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1