Quarterfinals Mid-American Conference Tournament
Quicken Loans Arena (Capacity 20,562)
Wednesday, March 13, 2014 at Noon
• Radio WERK 104.9 (Jay Garrison), WCRD 91.3
• Internet www.mac-sports.com
The Cardinals Nest
- The No. 5 seeded Ball State women’s basketball team earned its fifth straight win with a 61-47 victory over No. 9 Northern Illinois in Quicken Loans Arena Wednesday afternoon to advance to the quarterfinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. The Cardinals will face No. 4 Buffalo Thursday at Noon in Quicken Loans Arena. Ball State lost its lone meeting against Buffalo earlier this season. The Cardinals suffered a 73-69 loss to the Bulls at Worthen Arena, Jan. 26. The last time Ball State played in the MAC Tournament quarterfinals was in 2010 when the Cardinals fell 62-51 to No. 2 Toledo, Ball State entered the tournament as the seventh seed.
- This season marks the 24th appearance in the Mid-American Conference Tournament in program history. Ball State has advanced to Cleveland in 13 out of the past 15 seasons. The Cardinals are 18-22 all-time in MAC Tournament play and have advanced to the MAC Tournament finals on four occasions. Ball State defeated Bowling Green in 2009 in the MAC Tournament Championship game.
- Buffalo entered the Mid-American Conference as the No. 4 seed where they received an automatic bye after posting 17-12 overall record and a 10-8 league mark. The last time Ball State faced Buffalo in the Mid-American Conference Tournament was in 2011 under the directior of former Ball State head coach Kelly Packard. The game was played at Buffalo in Alumni Arena where the Bulls defeated the Cardinals by a score of 82-73 knocking the Cardinals out of the tournament. That year Ball State was the No. 11 seed out of the MAC West Divison while Buffalo was the No. 6 seed in the MAC East. The Cardinals and the Bulls have met a total of three times in the MAC Tournament 2003, 2009 and 2011, with Ball State winning two of the three meetings.
- Sophomore guard Nathalie Fontaine and senior guard Brandy Woody were both honored by the Mid-American Conference Monday afternoon, when the league announced the 2013-14 All-MAC awards as voted on by the league’s 12 head coaches. Fontaine, picked up All-MAC Second Team honors for the second straight season, while Woody was named to the Honorable Mention squad.