Mid-American Conference Tournament
May 21-25 at All Pro Freight Stadium in Avon, Ohio
Wednesday (4:30) -- No. 1 Ball State vs. No. 8 Western Michigan
Head Coach Rich Maloney (#2)
Career Record: 666-428-1 (19 Seasons)
Record at Ball State: 325-184-1 (9 Seasons)
Mid-American Conference Record: 178-76 (9 Seasons)
Ball State is ranked 26th in the nation in the latest Collegiate Baseball Poll
• Ball State is 38-16 overall and 22-4 in the Mid-American Conference . . . Ball State won the Mid-American Conference Regular-Season Championship, the MAC West Division and earned the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament with its 4-3 win at Northern Illinois last Thursday . . . The Cardinals swept the three-game series at NIU for their fifth three-game sweep over a MAC team this season -- Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Kent State and Northern Illinois . . . The five MAC series sweeps are a Ball State school record.
• Ball State’s 22-4 (.846) conference winning percentage is the sixth highest in the nation behind only Indiana (Big Ten), Liberty (Big South), Wright State (Horizon League), Alabama State (SWAC) and Louisiana (Sun Belt).
• Ball State head coach Rich Maloney earned his school record-setting 324th win in Ball State’s 4-1 win at Northern Illinois (5/16) . . . He has 666 career wins with 325 of those coming as the Cardinals’ head coach.
• The Cardinals were 13-2 at home this season, which was the progam’s best mark at home since going 13-2 at Ball Diamond in 2010.
• Ball State’s 9-3 start in 2014 was the best for the Cardinals since beginning the 1981 campaign with a 9-3 mark . . . Ball State started this season with a 3-0 record, which was the best start to a season for the Cardinals since the 1985 campaign when they opened the year with four straight wins.
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Ball State ranks in the top 50 in various categories: home runs (11th), home runs per game (11th), strikeouts per nine innings (23rd), runs (27th), slugging percentage (27th), scoring (29th), hits (38th), doubles (41st), on-base percentage (43rd), doubles per game (49th), batting average (50th) and winning percentage (26th).
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Sean Godfrey ranks in doubles (14th), runs-batted-in (23rd), total bases (30th), doubles per game (33rd), hits (40th) and RBI per game (41st) . . . Zach Plesac ranks in victories (4th) . . . Scott Baker ranks in games started (5th) . . . T.J. Weir ranks in strikeouts (7th), strikeouts per nine innings (14th) and games started (24th) . . . Ryan Spaulding ranks in sacrifice flies (44th).