This Week in Ball State Baseball
Thursday: at Northern Illinois (3:00) -- Dekalb, Ill.
Probable: T.J. Weir
Friday: at Northern Illinois (3:00) -- Dekalb, Ill.
Probable: Scott Baker
Saturday: at Northern Illinois (1:00) -- Dekalb, Ill.
Probable: Zach Plesac
Head Coach Rich Maloney (#2)
Career Record: 663-428-1 (19 Seasons)
Record at Ball State: 322-184-1 (9 Seasons)
Mid-American Conference Record: 175-76 (9 Seasons)
• Ball State is 35-16 overall and 19-4 in the Mid-American Conference . . . Ball State remains in first place in the MAC West Division after sweeping three games at home over Kent State last weekend . . . It marked the Cardinals’ fourth three-game sweep over a MAC team this season -- Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Kent State.
• With three games remaining in the Mid-American Conference regular season, Ball State holds a 2.5 game lead over Central Michigan for the MAC West Division Championship and for the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament . . . The Cardinals’ magic number is one . . . A Ball State win or a Central Michigan loss will guarantee the Cardinals the MAC West Division Championship and the No. 1 seed at the MAC Tournament May 21-15 in Avon, Ohio.
• Ball State head coach Rich Maloney earned his 300th win as the Cardinals’ head coach with a 15-2 victory over IPFW at Campbell (3/15) . . . Maloney now has 663 career wins, with 322 of those coming as Ball State’s head coach . . . He needs two wins to become the winningest coach in program history.
• The Cardinals are 13-2 at home this season, which is the progam’s best mark at home since going 13-2 at Ball Diamond in 2010.
• Ball State’s 9-3 start in 2014 was the best for the Cardinals since beginning the 1981 campaign with a 9-3 mark . . . Ball State started this season with a 3-0 record, which was the best start to a season for the Cardinals since the 1985 campaign when they opened the year with four straight wins.
• With three regular-season games remaining, Ball State holds a 2.5 game lead over Central Michigan for the MAC West Division Championship and for the No. 1 seed at the MAC Tournament in Avon, Ohio, May 21-25.
• Ball State finished second in the MAC West Division last season and advanced to the championship game of the conference tournament before being eliminated by Bowling Green. The Cardinals’ improvement from a 14-36 record in 2012 to a 31-24 mark in 2013 marked the eighth best turnaround in the NCAA.
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Ball State ranks in the top 50 in various categories: home runs (11th), runs (22nd), strikeouts per nine innings (25th), slugging percentage (28th), scoring (29th), hits (34th), on-base percentage (42nd), doubles (48th) and winning percentage (32nd).
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Sean Godfrey ranks in doubles (15th), runs-batted-in (23rd), total bases (23rd), RBI (23rd), RBI per game (29th), hits (31st), doubles per game (32nd) and home runs (42nd) . . . Zach Plesac ranks in victories (2nd) . . . Scott Baker ranks in games started (5th) . . . T.J. Weir ranks in strikeouts (7th), strikeouts per nine innings (13th) and games started (27th) . . . Ryan Spaulding ranks in sacrifice flies (32nd).