First Place Baseball Team Heading to Akron Friday
Head Coach Rich Maloney (#2)
Career Record: 660-426-1 (19 Seasons)
Record at Ball State: 319-182-1 (9 Seasons)
Internet Radio -- www.ballstatesports.com -- Joel Godett (play-by-play)
• Ball State is 30-14 overall and 14-3 in the Mid-American Conference . . . Ball State took over first place in the MAC West Division with a three-game sweep of Central Michigan at the Chippewas’ home field last weekend.
• Ball State head coach Rich Maloney earned his 300th win as the Cardinals’ head coach with a 15-2 victory over IPFW at Campbell (3/15) . . . Maloney now has 660 career wins, with 319 of those coming as Ball State’s head coach . . . He needs five wins to become the winningest coach in program history.
• The Cardinals are 10-1 at home this season, which is the progam’s best start at home since starting the 2002 campaign with an 11-0 mark.
• Ball State’s 9-3 start in 2014 was the best for the Cardinals since beginning the 1981 campaign with a 9-3 mark . . . Ball State started this season with a 3-0 record, which was the best start to a season for the Cardinals since the 1985 campaign when they opened the year with four straight wins.
• Ball State was picked to finish first in the Mid-American Conference West Division in the league’s preseason poll, which is selected by the MAC’s 12 head coaches.
• Ball State finished second in the MAC West Division last season and advanced to the championship game of the conference tournament before being eliminated by Bowling Green. The Cardinals’ improvement from a 14-36 record in 2012 to a 31-24 mark in 2013 marked the eighth best turnaround in the NCAA.
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Ball State ranks in the top 50 in various categories: home runs (12th), home runs per game (14th), strikeouts per nine innings (24th), runs (28th), scoring (34th), hits (40th), slugging percentage (42nd) and winning percentage (36th).
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Sean Godfrey ranks in doubles (10th), runs-batted-in (11th), RBI per game (17th), doubles per game (21st), total bases (29th), home runs (42nd) and stolen bases (49th) . . . Zach Plesac ranks in victories (13th) . . . Scott Baker ranks in games started (3rd) . . . T.J. Weir ranks in strikeouts (9th), strikeouts per nine innings (9th), games started (26th).