Baseball Set for Weekend Series at Toledo
This Week in Ball State Baseball
at Toledo - Fri. (3:00) -- Scott Park, Toledo, Ohio
at Toledo - Sat. (1:00) -- Scott Park, Toledo, Ohio
at Toledo - Sun. (1:00) -- Scott Park, Toledo, Ohio
Head Coach Rich Maloney (#2)
Career Record: 652-423-1 (19 Seasons)
Record at Ball State: 311-179-1 (9 Seasons)
• Ball State is 22-11 overall and 7-1 in the Mid-American Conference . . . Ball State suffered a 6-5 non-conference loss at Butler Wednesday . . . The Cardinals went 4-1 last week, including a three-game sweep over Eastern Michigan in MAC action . . . Ball State defeated Indiana Tech (13-8), lost at Northern Kentucky (4-3) and defeated the Eagles 20-5, 7-3 and 6-5.
• Ball State head coach Rich Maloney earned his 300th win as the Cardinals’ head coach with a 15-2 victory over IPFW at Campbell (3/15) . . . Maloney now has 652 career wins, with 311 of those coming as Ball State’s head coach . . . He needs 13 wins to become the winningest in school history.
• The Cardinals are 8-0 at home this season, which is the progam’s best start at home since starting the 2002 campaign with an 11-0 mark.
• Ball State’s 9-3 start in 2014 was the best for the Cardinals since beginning the 1981 campaign with a 9-3 mark . . . Ball State started this season with a 3-0 record, which was the best start to a season for the Cardinals since the 1985 campaign when they opened the year with four straight wins.
• Ball State was picked to finish first in the Mid-American Conference West Division in the league’s preseason poll, which is selected by the MAC’s 12 head coaches.
• Ball State finished second in the MAC West Division last season and advanced to the championship game of the conference tournament before being eliminated by Bowling Green. The Cardinals’ improvement from a 14-36 record in 2012 to a 31-24 mark in 2013 marked the eighth best turnaround in the NCAA.
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Ball State ranks in the top 50 in various categories: runs (26th), home runs (27th), strikeouts per nine innings (28th), hits (32nd), home runs per game (34th), winning percentage (35th), doubles (39th), scoring (39th), slugging percentage (41st) and batting average (47th).
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Sean Godfrey is ranked second in doubles, sixth in doubles per game, eighth in runs-batted-in, 10th in RBI per game, 13th in total bases, 30th in stolen bases, 36th in home runs, 39th in hits and 50th in slugging percentage . . . Zach Plesac is ranked 14th in the nation with six pitching victories, while Scott Baker is 48th with five wins . . . Baker leads the country with nine starts on the mound, while T.J. Weir is 21st with eight starts . . . Weir is 35th in strikeouts with 53 and strikeouts per nine innings with a 10.01 average.