Women's Tennis Handles Akron, 6-1
AKRON, Ohio - The Ball State women's tennis team (12-7, 2-1 MAC) took its first of two Mid-American Conference weekend road matches Friday with a 6-1 victory over Akron (10-11, 2-1 MAC).
“It's never easy to win on the road in the conference," said Ball State head women's tennis coach Max Norris. "Akron fought hard with a short-handed roster and I was impressed how they never gave up. I give credit to their coaches. This was a good win for us because everyone played and got a win in either doubles or singles. We are looking forward to playing at Buffalo tomorrow."
Ball State began the day by securing the doubles point, winning all three matches. Courtney Wild and Ayaka Terashi was the first match off the court after winning by default over Akron on court three. Toni Ormond then paired up with Kristel Sanders at the No. 2 doubles position to take an 8-3 win over Martina Zerbola and Caroline which captured the point for the Cardinals. Courtney Earnest and Bethany Moore were the last duo off the court winning 8-5 on court one.
In singles play, Toni Ormond won first by default at the No. 6 spot to give Ball State the 2-0 edge over Akron. Ashlyn Rang and Courtney Wild both won in straight sets in their respective positions. Earnest put the Cardinals up 5-0 over the Zips with her 6-2, 6-3 defeat over Martina Zerbola. Moore was also a winner for the Cardinals while Kristel Sanders would fall to her opponent at No. 3 singles.
The Ball State women's tennis team continues Mid-American Conference action Saturday at Buffalo with a 1 p.m. first serve.
Ball State 6, Akron 1
1. Courtney Earnest/Bethany Moore (BSU) def. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (UA) 8-5
2. Toni Ormond/Kristel Sanders (BSU) def. Martina Zerbola/Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 8-3
3. Courtney Wild/Ayaka Terashi (BSU) won by default
1. Courtney Wild (BSU) def. Olga Shkundina (UA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Courtney Earnest (BSU) def. Martina Zerbola (UA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) def. Caroline Harpaintner (UA) 7-5, 6-3
5. Ayaka Terashi (BSU) def. Marta Briega (UA) 6-1, 6-0
6. Toni Ormond (BSU) won by default
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 2, 1
Singles – 6, 5, 1, 2, 4, 3