Baseball Hosting Indiana Wesleyan Wednesday
• Wed. vs. Indiana Wesleyan (3:00)
• Fri. vs. Buffalo (3:00) at Monroe Community College in Rochester, N.Y.
• Sat. vs. Buffalo (1:00) at Monroe Community College in Rochester, N.Y.
• Sun. vs. Buffalo (1:00) at Monroe Community College in Rochester, N.Y.
Head Coach Rich Maloney (#2)
Career Record: 645-420-1 (19 Seasons)
Record at Ball State: 304-176-1 (9 Seasons)
Internet Radio/Live Stats: www.ballstatesports.com -- Joel Godett (play-by-play)
• Ball State is 16-8 overall and 3-0 in the Mid-American Conference after sweeping a three-game series over Bowling Green last week . . . The Cardinals are scheduled to play a midweek game Wednesday at home against Indiana Wesleyan and then play Buffalo in a three-game MAC series on the road Friday through Sunday . . . The three games vs. Buffalo have been moved to Monroe Community College in Rochester, N.Y., due to weather and field conditions.
• Ball State head coach Rich Maloney earned his 300th win as the Cardinals’ head coach with a 15-2 victory over IPFW at Campbell (3/15) . . . Maloney now has 645 career wins, with 304 of those coming as Ball State’s head coach . . . He needs 20 wins to become the winningest in school history.
• Ball State’s 9-3 start in 2014 was the best for the Cardinals since beginning the 1981 campaign with a 9-3 mark . . . Ball State started this season with a 3-0 record, which was the best start to a season for the Cardinals since the 1985 campaign when they opened the year with four straight wins.
• Ball State was picked to finish first in the Mid-American Conference West Division in the league’s preseason poll, which is selected by the MAC’s 12 head coaches.
• Ball State finished second in the MAC West Division last season and advanced to the championship game of the conference tournament before being eliminated by Bowling Green.
• The Cardinals’ improvement from a 14-36 record in 2012 to a 31-24 mark in 2013 marked the eighth best turnaround in the NCAA.
• In the latest NCAA statistics, Ball State ranks in the top 50 in various categories: strikeouts per nine innings (38th), home runs (40th), fielding percentage (43rd), winning percentage (46th) and home runs per game (50th).
• Sean Godfrey ranks second in the nation with 12 doubles, 16th with 0.50 doubles per game, 39th with 54 total bases, 40th with 24 RBI and 44th with 10 stolen bases . . . Zach Plesac is second in the nation with six pitching victories.