Second Round Mid-American Conference Tournament
Quicken Loans Arena (Capacity 20,562)
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at Noon
• Radio WERK 104.9 (Jay Garrison), WCRD 91.3
• Internet www.mac-sports.com
The Cardinals Nest
- The No. 5 seeded Ball State women’s basketball team earned its fourth straight win with a 73-38 victory over No. 12 Kent State in Worthen Arena Monday night to advance to the second round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. The Cardinals will face No. 9 Northern Illinois Wednesday at Noon in Quicken Loans Arena. Ball State swept its two-game series over the Huskies earlier this season. The Cardinals posted a 63-50 win at Northern Illinois (Feb. 9) and defeated the Huskies 67-57 in Worthen Arena, March 5. This is the third year under the current MAC Tournament’s format with some teams playing first and second round games. This will be the first second round tournament appearance for the Cardinals.
- This season marks the 24th appearance in the Mid-American Conference Tournament in program history. Ball State has advanced to Cleveland in 13 out of the past 15 seasons. The Cardinals are 17-22 all-time in MAC Tournament play and have advanced to the MAC Tournament finals on four occasions. Ball State defeated Bowling Green in 2009 in the MAC Tournament Championship game.
- Northern Illinois entered the Mid-American Conference as the No. 9 seed where they played No. 8 Eastern Michigan Monday night in Ypsilanti. The Huskies defeated the Eagles in overtime, 81-76. Natecia Augusta led Northern Illinois’ attack with 24 points. The last time Ball State faced Northern Illinois in the Mid-American Conference Tournament was in 2007 under the directior of former Ball State head coach Tracy Roller. The game was played at Quicken Loans Arena where the Cardinals defeated the Huskies by a score of 72-65, advancing Ball State to the championship game where the Cardinals would lose 67-53 to Bowling Green. That year Ball State was the No. 1 seed out of the MAC West Divison while Northern Illinois was the No. 4 seed in the MAC West. The Cardinals and the Huskies have met a total of three times in the MAC Tournament 2002, 2004 and 2007, Ball State has won all three of those meetings.
- Sophomore guard Nathalie Fontaine and senior guard Brandy Woody were both honored by the Mid-American Conference Monday afternoon, when the league announced the 2013-14 All-MAC awards as voted on by the league’s 12 head coaches. Fontaine, picked up All-MAC Second Team honors for the second straight season, while Woody was named to the Honorable Mention squad.