This Week’s Probable Pitchers for Ball State:
Tues. at Campbell -- #11 Zach Plesac, RHP, Fr.
Wed. at Campbell -- TBA
Fri. vs. IPFW - Game 1 - #7 T.J. Weir, RHP, Sr.
Fri. vs. IPFW - Game 2 - #33 Clay Manering, LHP, Sr.
Sat. vs. IPFW - Game 1 - #41 Scott Baker, RHP, Jr.
Sat. vs. IPFW - Game 2 - TBA
Head Coach Rich Maloney (#2)
Career Record: 639-417-1 (19 Seasons)
Record at Ball State: 298-173-1 (9 Seasons)
Internet Radio/Live Stats
www.ballstatesports.com -- Rick Johnston (play-by-play)
• Ball State is 10-5 this season after posting a 10-8 extra-inning victory at the nation’s No. 22-ranked Kentucky Wildcats last Friday before suffering losses in the final two games of the series.
• Ball State’s 9-3 start in 2014 was the best for the Cardinals since beginning the 1981 campaign with a 9-3 mark . . . Ball State started this season with a 3-0 record, which was the best start to a season for the Cardinals since the 1985 campaign when they opened the year with four straight wins.
• Ball State was picked to finish first in the Mid-American Conference West Division in the league’s preseason poll, which is selected by the MAC’s 12 head coaches.
• Ball State finished second in the MAC West Division last season and advanced to the championship game of the conference tournament before being eliminated by Bowling Green.
• The Cardinals’ improvement from a 14-36 record in 2012 to a 31-24 mark in 2013 marked the eighth best turnaround in the NCAA.
• Ball State ranks 32nd in the nation with eight home runs and the Cardinal’s pitching staff is 38th in the NCAA with 8.3 strikeouts per nine innings.
• Zach Plesac is tied for first in the nation with four pitching wins this season . . . Sean Godfrey ranks seventh in the nation with eight doubles and 26th with 0.53 doubles per game Brandon Estep is 28th in the NCAA with three home runs.