LEXINGTON, Ky. The Ball State University women's tennis team fell 4-2 to Kentucky in its last match of the weekend Saturday night at the Hilary J.Boone Varsity Tennis Center.
The Wildcats took the doubles point to go up 1-0 over the Cardinals heading into singles action. Kentucky's twosome of Caitlin McGraw and Kirsten Lewis took the first match from Ball State's Courtney Wild and Ayaka Terashi by a score of 6-1 at the No. 3 position. Toni Ormond and Courtney Earnest then dropped a 6-1 decision at the No. 2 position to Kentucky's twosome of Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff and Aldila Sutjiadi.
In singles action, Bethany Moore lost to Morin-Kougoucheff at the No. 3 spot to make it a 2-0 match for Kentucky. After that, Kristel Sanders defeated Taylor Lederman, 7-6, 6-1 at the No. 4 position to make the score, 2-1. Wild then dropped her match at No. 1 singles to give the Wildcats the 3-1 edge over the Cardinals. Earnest made it a one-point match after posting a straight set victory, 6-3, 6-3 (8), over Kelsey Dieters at No. 2. With the match at 3-2, Caitlin McGraw would beat Ormond to secure the win for the Wildcats.
The Ball State women's tennis team continues aciton when it hosts Wright State and Oakland University Friday at the Muncie YMCA Tennis Center.
Kentucky 4, Ball State 2
Singles order of finish 3,4,1,2,5*
1. Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) def. Courtney Wild, 7-6, 6-2
2. Courtney Earnest (BSU) def. Kelsey Dieters (UK) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (8)
3. Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) def. Bethany Moore (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Kristel Sanders (BSU) def. Taylor Lederman (UK) 7-6, 6-1 (5)
5. Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Toni Ormond (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Stephanie Fox (UK) def. Ayaka Terashi (BSU) 5-3 DNF
Doubles order of finish 3,2,1*