Ball State Cardinals (28-23; MAC 15-12)
Mid-American Conference Tournament
Wednesday-Saturday in Avon, Ohio
Live Stats Courtesy of mac-sports.com
Ball State Cardinals vs. The Tournament Field
• Ball State and Kent State (#1 Seed) have met 106 times with the Golden Flashes holding a 60-46 all-time advantage . . . Kent State won 2-of-3 meetings this season in Kent, Ohio.
• Ball State and Buffalo (#2 Seed) have met 10 times with the Cardinals holding a 9-1 all-time edge . . . The teams did not meet this year and have not played each other since 2011.
• Ball State and Northern Illinois (#3 Seed) have met 74 times with the Cardinals holding a 41-32-1 all-time advantage . . . Ball State won 2-of-3 meetings this season in the final Mid-American Conference regular season weekend in Muncie, Ind.
• Ball State and Miami University (#5 Seed) have met 132 times with the RedHawks holding a 72-60 advantage . . . Miami University won 2-of-3 meetings this season in Oxford, Ohio.
• Ball State and Bowling Green (#6 Seed) have played 106 times with the Falcons holding a 58-46-2 all-time edge . . . The Falcons won two games over Ball State in non-conference tilts this season -- a 5-2 win at BG and a 7-5 win in Muncie, Ind.
• Ball State and Toledo (#7 Seed) have met 116 times with the Cardinals holding a 62-54 all-time edge . . . Ball State won 2-of-3 games this season in Muncie, Ind.
• Ball State and Central Michigan (#8 Seed) have played 138 times in baseball and the Chippewas hold an 88-50 all-time advantage . . . Central Michigan won 2-of-3 games in Muncie, Ind., this season.
NATIONAL RANKINGS: Scott Baker ranks fifth in the nation in pitching victories with 11 . . . He is 15th in the nation in complete games (5), 21st in ERA (1.63), 47th in strikeouts per inning (9.35), and 86th in strikeouts (80) . . . Baker and Chris Marangon are tied for 14th nationally in games started with 14 apiece . . . Ball State ranks 63rd in the NCAA with 1.84 doubles per game . . . The Cardinals are 80th in the country with 0.51 home runs per game and 85th nationall with 26 HRs and 94 doubles . . . The Cardinals pitching staff is 75th in the nation with a 3.70 ERA.
MALONEY MILESTONES: Rich Maloney, who tallied his 600th career victory in Ball State's win at Lipscomb Feb. 23, tallied his 300th career conference victory April 6 at his alma mater, Western Michigan . . . Maloney served as Ball State's head coach from 1996-2002 and Michigan's head mentor from 2003-12 before returning to the Cardinals . . . He owns a 312-178 career record in conference games between the Big Ten Conference and Mid-American Conference . . . In addition, Maloney owns a 156-72 record in MAC games . . . Maloney owns a 284-167-1 all-time coaching mark at Ball State and needs 16 victories to reach 300 wins with the Cardinals . . . The record for head coaching wins at Ball State is 323 by Pat Quinn, a current associate athletic director at the school . . . Quinn amassed 323 wins from 1983-95.
STATISTICAL TRENDS: Ball State is 21-4 when leading after six innings, 23-4 when in the lead after seven and 25-1 when leading after eight frames . . . Ball State is 17-2 when limiting opponents to two runs or less . . . The Cardinals are 20-9 when scoring first in a game.
BAKER ONE OF NATION'S BEST: Scott Baker tallied his 11th win of the season and improved to 11-1 with a five-hit, complete game win over Northern Illinois (5/16) . . . Baker earned his 10th win after limiting Toledo, who entered the game leading the Mid-American Conference with a .290 batting average, to a .100 hitting mark in a 4-0 complete game shutout victory (5/10) . . . Baker, who suffered his only defeat of the season in a 1-0 complete game loss at Miami University, owns a 1.63 earned-run average on the season . . . Baker's second victory of the year was at Lipscomb, which was the 600th career win for head coach Rich Maloney . . . His win at Western Michigan (4/6) marked the 300th conference win in Maloney's career . . . Baker has struck out 80 batters in 99.1 innings and allowed only 18 earned runs . . . Opponents are hitting only .218 against Baker.