Men's Tennis Loses Season Opener at Northwestern
EVANSTON, Ill. - The Ball State men's tennis team (1-0) dropped 6-1 decision in its season opener at Northwestern Sunday afternoon.
The match started with doubles play, Austin Sansone and Alexandre Brym became the first duo to lose their match by a score of 8-3 at the No. 3 spot. The Ball State twosome of Cliff Morrison and Patrick Elliot came close to victory but lost 8-7 (7-1) in the tie breaker at No. 2 doubles. Dalton Albertin and Ray Leonard didn't finish their match at No. 1 doubles but the score was 7-6 (40-15) when it was abandoned.
Northwestern took the 1-0 lead heading into singles action after winning the doubles point. The Wildcats would take the Cardinals down in singles action winning all but one match. At No. 2 singles Spencer Wolf had won the first set 6-2 before Morrison took the second set 6-3 but Wolf would withdrawal from the third set giving Morrison the victory.
Ball State will face its second Big Ten opponent Saturday when it hosts Illinois in Carmel, Ind., at 6 p.m.
Northwestern vs. Ball State
1. Wolf/Baev vs. Albertin/Leonard 7-6, 40-15 (abandoned)
2. Balaji/Smith def. Morrison/Elliott 8-7 (7-1)
3. Jackman/Pasareanu def. Sansone/Brym 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. Raleigh Smith def. Ray Leonard 6-2, 6-3
2. Spencer Wolf vs. Cliff Morrison 6-2, 3-6, 1-1 (withdrew)
3. Sidarth Balaji def. Dalton Albertin 6-1, 6-3
4. Alex Pasareanu def. Alexandre Brym 6-4, 6-4
5. Chris Jackman def. Austin Smith 6-0, 7-5
6. Mihir Kumar def. Patrick Elliott 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 6, 4*, 5, 1, 2