Football Travels to Army for Saturday's Game
Ball State Cardinals
(5-3; MAC 3-2)
Head Coach: Pete Lembo
Career Record: 90-45/12th year
At Ball State: 11-9/2nd year
Army Black Knights
Head Coach: Rich Ellerson
Career Record: 76-69/12th year
At Army: 16-28/4th year
Sat., Oct. 27, 2012 -- Noon (ET)
Michie Stadium (Capacity: 38,000)
Field Turf -- West Point, N.Y.
Ball State Radio Network
Flagship Station - WLBC FM 104.1
Joel Godett, play-by-play
Mark O'Connell, color analyst
Jeff Weller, host
WCRD-Radio (Ball State Student Station)
Pat Boylan, play-by-play
Timmy Fogarty, color analyst
CBS Sports Network
Ben Holden (Play-by-Play)
Randy Cross (Analyst)
Listen to the Coach
Follow the Cardinals:
• Ball State Football Quick Hits . . . . . .
* Ball State tallied a 41-30 win at Central Michigan Saturday, which marked the Cardinals fourth win over the Chippewas in the last five meetings and the third straight win over CMU for Ball State.
* The Cardinals gained 233 yards rushing at Central Michigan, which marked the fourth time in eight games this year Ball State has rushed for 200 or more yards in a game . . . The Cardinals also rushed for at least 200 yards vs. Eastern Michigan (329), at Clemson (252) and at Indiana (206).
* Ball State's Joel Cox (Greenwood, Ind./Center Grove H.S.) blocked an extra point at Central Michigan . . . It marked his third blocked extra point of the season.
* Ball State has won three games this year on its final possession of the game . . . The Cardinals won on a field goal as time expired at Indiana (Sept. 15) and scored the go-ahead touchdown with 1:02 left in the game in their victory at home over South Florida (Sept. 22) . . . Ball State tallied a 30-24 overtime win over Western Michigan Oct. 13, on a 15-yard touchdown run on the final play of the OT.
* The Cardinals have beaten two teams from the Bowl Championship Series Automatic Qualifying Conferences in the same year for the first time in school history . . . Ball State defeated Indiana from the Big Ten Conference 41-39 Sept. 15, and tallied a 31-27 win over South Florida from the Big East Conference Sept. 22 . . . The win over Indiana marked the third straight meeting between the two teams the Cardinals have won.
* Ball State ranks 19th in the nation in total offense (480.75), 31st in passing offense (281.00), 33rd in rushing offense (199.75) and 38th in scoring offense (34.13).
* In net punting, Ball State ranks 13th in the NCAA statistics with a 40.88 average . . . The Cardinals are fourth in the nation in punt return yardage defense . . . Ball State has allowed only four punt returns for a 1.5 yards-per-return average . . . The Cardinals are 17th in the nation in punt returns with a 14.0 average.
* Ball State is 17th in the nation for fewest sacks allowed after allowing only 0.88 sacks per game in the first eight games of 2012.
* Ball State's football program has been featured in ESPN's family of networks Top Ten Plays twice this season . . . Eric Patterson (Tampa, Fla./H.B. Plant H.S.) was featured for his interception of a first quarter pass vs. Western Michigan, which was initially tipped by Travis Freeman (Cleveland, Ohio/Glenville H.S.) and then batted by Ball State until Patterson came up with his second pick of the season . . . Willie Snead (Belle Glade, Fla./Muskegon, Mich. H.S.) was featured for his game winning touchdown reception vs. South Florida Sept. 22.
* Ball State junior quarterback Keith Wenning (Coldwater, Ohio/Coldwater H.S.), who made his 30th consecutive career start at Central Michigan, threw three touchdown passes at Central Michigan . . . It marked the 10th time in his career with at least three TD passes in a game . . . He has 15 touchdown passes in 2012, which ranks as the ninth best single-season effort in Ball State history . . . Wenning owns the top four single-game completion totals and the top three single-game attempt totals in Ball State history.
* Willie Snead, who ranks first in the Mid-American Conference in catches and receiving yards, managed six catches for 52 yards and one touchdown at Central Michigan . . . It marked his sixth TD reception of the season and the eighth of his career . . . He has caught at least one touchdown pass in five of the past six game . . . Snead's 62 catches for 823 receiving yards through eight games in 2012 rank as the ninth highest single season totals in Ball State history.
* Sophomore running back Jahwan Edwards (Matthews, N.C./Butler H.S.) rushed for 128 yards on 21 carries at Central Michigan . . . It marked his third 100-yard rushing performance of the season and the fifth of his career . . . Edwards has recorded 19 TDs in 20 career games.
* Barrington Scott (Fort Wayne, Ind./Snider H.S.) rushed for 99 yards and one touchdown on 25 carries plus caught one pass for a seven yard TD at Central Michigan . . . It marked the first two touchdown game of his career.
* Scott Kovanda (Hartland, Mich./Detroit Catholic H.S.) punted three times at Central Michigan and pinned the Chippewas inside the 20-yard line two times . . . He has pinned opponents inside the 20-yard line on 21 of his 32 punts this season.
* The Cardinals forced two turnovers at Central Michigan . . . Quintin Cooper (Clayton, Ohio/Northmont H.S.) recorded his first career interception in the first quarter and Nathan Ollie (Chicago, Ill./Mount Carmel H.S.) recovered a third quarter fumble forced on a sack by Brandon Newman (Louisville, Ky./Pleasure Ridge Park H.S.).
* Scouting Army: Army fell to 1-6 overall after suffering a 48-38 loss at Eastern Michigan Saturday . . . The Black Knights lone victory of the season was a 34-31 victory vs. Boston College Oct. 6 . . . Army is averaging 25.1 points per game, while allowing 37.9 . . . The Black Knights are rushing for 389.1 yards per contest, while passing for 66.9 . . . Army is allowing 235.3 rushing yards and 230.9 passing yards per tilt . . . Raymond Maples leads the team with 112.7 rushing yards per game, while Trent Steelman is second with 101.3 per contest.
* Series vs. Army: Ball State and Army have met three times and the Black Knights hold a 2-1 all-time advantage . . . The Cardinals tallied a 48-21 win Sept. 24, 2011, in Muncie, Ind., while Army posted a 41-21 win at Army in 1999 and a 24-17 victory at West Point in 2009.