Football Team at Central Michigan Saturday on ESPN3
Ball State Cardinals (4-3; MAC 2-2)
Head Coach: Pete Lembo
Career Record: 89-45/12th year
At Ball State: 10-9/2nd year
Central Michigan Chippewas (2-4; MAC 0-2)
Head Coach: Dan Enos
Career Record: 8-22/3rd year
At Central Michigan: 8-22/3rd year
Sat., Oct. 20, 2012 -- 3:30 p.m. (ET)
Kelly/Shorts Stadium (Capacity: 30,255)
Field Turf -- Mount Pleasant, Mich.
Ball State Radio Network
Flagship Station - WLBC FM 104.1
Joel Godett, play-by-play
Mark O'Connell, color analyst
Jeff Weller, host
WCRD-Radio (Ball State Student Station)
Pat Boylan, play-by-play
Timmy Fogarty, color analyst
Jim Barbar (Play-by-Play)
Jerrod Cherry (Analyst)
Listen to the Coach
* Monday Night w/ the Red & White Radio Show at Applebee's 7-7:45
* Oct. 25 - Cardinal Endzone TV Show Featuring Head Coach Pete Lembo
6 p.m. - WIPB-TV, Muncie
* Next Football Friday Inside Luncheon Tues., Nov. 13 -- 11:45 a.m. at Ball State Alumni Center - $15 per person
Follow the Cardinals:
• Ball State Football Quick Hits . . . . . .
* Ball State tallied a 30-24 overtime victory over Western Michigan in its Homecoming Game Saturday . . . The Cardinals defense held the Broncos scoreless for a span of 35 minutes from the 5:01 mark of the second quarter until WMU's game-tying field goal on the final play of regulation and then held the Broncos scoreless on its possession in overtime.
* Ball State's win over Western Michigan marked the third time this season Ball State has won a game on its final possession . . . The Cardinals won on a field goal as time expired at Indiana (Sept. 15) and scored the go-ahead touchdown with 1:02 left in the game in their victory at home over South Florida (Sept. 22).
* Sophomore running back Jahwan Edwards scored the game-winning touchdown in the first overtime period vs. WMU . . . He ran for three touchdowns in the game, which matched his career best performance for rushing TDs in a single game.
* Junior quarterback Keith Wenning's touchdown pass to Jamill Smith on Ball State's final possession of regulation moved him into second place alone on Ball State's career touchdown pass list with 45.
* The Cardinals have beaten two teams from the Bowl Championship Series Automatic Qualifying Conferences in the same year for the first time in school history . . . Ball State defeated Indiana from the Big Ten Conference 41-39 Sept. 15, and tallied a 31-27 win over South Florida from the Big East Conference Sept. 22 . . . The win over Indiana marked the third straight meeting between the two teams the Cardinals have won.
* Ball State ranks 21st in the nation in total offense (483.14), 29th in the country in passing offense (288.14) and 38th in the nation rushing offense (195.0).
* In net punting, Ball State ranks 12th in the NCAA statistics with a 41.28 average . . . The Cardinals are sixth in the nation in punt return yardage defense . . . Ball State has allowed only four punt returns on 29 punts in 2012 for a 1.5 yards-per-return average . . . The Cardinals are 15th in the nation in punt returns with a 14.75 average.
* Ball State is 16th in the nation for fewest sacks allowed after allowing only 1.0 sacks per game in the first seven games of 2012.
* Ball State's football program has been featured in ESPN's family of networks Top Ten Plays twice this season . . . Eric Patterson (Tampa, Fla./H.B. Plant H.S.) was featured for his interception of a first quarter pass vs. Western Michigan, which was initially tipped by Travis Freeman (Cleveland, Ohio/Glenville H.S.) and then batted by Ball State until Patterson came up with his second pick of the season . . . Willie Snead (Belle Glade, Fla./Muskegon, Mich. H.S.) was featured for his game winning touchdown reception vs. South Florida Sept. 22.
* Ball State junior quarterback Keith Wenning (Coldwater, Ohio/Coldwater H.S.), who made his 29th consecutive career start vs. Western Michigan, moved into third on Ball State's career list for passing yards and now has 6,164 . . . He completed 27-of-43 passes for 265 yards with one touchdown and one interception against WMU . . . Wenning owns the top four single-game completion totals and the top three single-game attempt totals in Ball State history.
* Willie Snead managed nine catches for 147 yards vs. Western Michigan and topped the 100-yard receiving mark for the fourth time in his career and third time in the past four games . . . Snead's 771 receiving yards through seven games in 2012 ranks as the 10th highest total in a single season in Ball State history . . . In the past four games, he has 40 catches for 585 yards.
* Junior wide receiver Jamill Smith (Muncie, Ind./South H.S.) had four catches for 27 yards and one touchdown vs. Western Michigan . . . It marked his third touchdown catch in the past four games and the sixth of his career . . . Smith has two 100-yard receiving games this season -- vs. Eastern Michigan (119) and Northern Illinois (146).
* Sophomore running back Jahwan Edwards (Matthews, N.C./Butler H.S.) rushed for 138 yards and a career high tying three touchdowns on 23 carries vs. Western Michigan . . . It was the second three TD performance of the season for Edwards, who also tallied three vs. Eastern Michigan . . . It was the sixth career game with multiple scores for Edwards, who has recorded 19 touchdowns in 19 career games.
* Scott Kovanda (Hartland, Mich./Detroit Catholic H.S.) punted four times vs. Western Michigan and pinned the Broncos inside the 20-yard line two times . . . He has pinned opponents inside the 20-yard line on 19 of his 29 punts this season.
* The Cardinals had four tackles for loss vs. Western Michigan, including 1.5 by Jonathan Newsome (Cleveland, Ohio/Glenville H.S.) . . . Newsome is Ball State's team leader with six sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss this season -- all in the past five games.
* Scouting Central Michigan: Central Michigan fell to 2-4 after suffering a Friday loss at home to Navy 31-13 . . . The Chippewas are 0-2 in Mid-American Conference play with losses at Northern Illinois (55-24) and at Toledo (50-35) . . . CMU defeated Southeast Missouri State (38-27) in its season opener and tallied a win at Iowa (32-31) Sept. 22.
* Series vs. Central Michigan: Ball State and Central Michigan have met 44 times in football and the Cardinals lead the all-time series 22-21-1 . . . Ball State has won three of the last four meetings, including the last two contests . . . The Cardinals tallied a 31-27 win at Ball State in 2011 and a 31-17 victory in Mount Pleasant, Mich., in 2010 . . . In games played at Central Michigan, the Chippewas own a 12-8 all-time lead in the series.