Football Hosts Northern Illinois Saturday at 3 p.m.
Game #6: BRONZE STALK GAME
Ball State Cardinals (3-2; MAC 1-1)
Head Coach: Pete Lembo
Career Record: 88-44/12th year
At Ball State: 9-8/2nd year
Northern Illinois Huskies (4-1; MAC 1-0)
Head Coach: Dave Doeren
Career Record: 15-4/2nd year
At Northern Illinois: 15-4/2nd year
Sat., Oct. 6, 2012 -- 3 p.m. (ET)
Scheumann Stadium (Capacity: 22,500)
Field Turf -- Muncie, Ind.
Ball State Radio Network
Flagship Station - WLBC FM 104.1
Joel Godett, play-by-play
Mark O'Connell, color analyst
Jeff Weller, host
WCRD-Radio (Ball State Student Station)
Pat Boylan, play-by-play
Timmy Fogarty, color analyst
Jim Barbar (Play-by-Play)
John Gregory (Analyst)
Listen to the Coach
Follow the Cardinals:
GameDay Sponsor: Central Indiana Orthopedics
• Ball State Football Quick Hits . . . . . .
* Ball State suffered a 45-43 loss at Kent State Saturday in a game where the combined 88 points tied for the fifth most in a single game in Ball State history.
* Junior quarterback Keith Wenning tied a school record at Kent State with five touchdown passes and threw for a career high 445 yards, the second most in school history. Sophomore wide receiver Willie Snead set career highs with 14 catches, 216 receiving yards and two TD receptions at Kent State.
* Ball State tallied a 31-27 home victory Sept. 22, over South Florida from the Big East Conference. The win marked a second straight win for the Cardinals over a Bowl Championship Subdivision school from one of the six automatic qualifying conferences.
* The Cardinals have beaten two teams from the BCS AQ conferences in the same year for the first time in school history. Ball State defeated Indiana from the Big Ten Conference 41-39 Sept. 15. The win over Indiana marked the third straight meeting between the two teams the Cardinals have won. Ball State also defeated the Hoosiers in 2008 in Bloomington, Ind. (42-20) and in 2011 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind. (27-20).
* Ball State ranks 27th in the nation in rushing offense with a 213.6 yards-per-game average.
* The Cardinals have played on television 26 times in the last three seasons and are scheduled for at least three more TV appearances the rest of this season.
* In net punting, Ball State ranks 10th in the NCAA statistics with a 41.86 average. The Cardinals are 12th in the nation in punt return yardage defense. Ball State has allowed only two punt returns on 21 punts in 2012 for a 2.0 yards-per-return average.
* Ball State is tied for 10th in the nation for fewest sacks allowed after allowing only 0.6 sacks per game in the first five games of 2012. The Cardinals are tied for 20th in the nation with only two passes intercepted this season.
* Ball State junior quarterback Keith Wenning (Coldwater, Ohio/Coldwater H.S.) threw for a career high 445 yards at Kent State, which tied for the second highest single-game total in Ball State history . . . His performance was the fifth game of his career with at least 300 yards passing . . . Wenning's 459 yards of total offense at Kent State (445 passing, 14 rushing) is the second best single-game total in school history behind Nate Davis' 478 at Nebraska in 2007.
* Wenning, who made his 27th consecutive career start at Kent State, tied the Ball State school record with five touchdown passes and became the first quarterback for the Cardinals to throw five TD passes in a single game since Andy Roesch in 2002 . . . Wenning has moved into a tie for third on Ball State's career touchdown passes chart with 43.
* Sophomore wide receiver Willie Snead (Belle Glade, Fla./Muskegon, Mich. H.S.) set career highs with 14 catches, 216 receiving yards and two touchdown receptions at Kent State . . . His 14 receptions tied for the second most in a single game in school history, while his 216 receiving yards rank fifth on Ball State's all-time single-game list . . . In the last two games, Snead has combined for 25 catches for 351 yards and three touchdowns.
* Jamill Smith (Muncie, Ind./South H.S.), who set a career high with nine catches at Indiana, caught a touchdown pass at Kent State, marking the second straight game he has tallied one TD reception . . . It marked his fifth career touchdown catch.
* Connor Ryan (Westlake, Ohio/St. Ignatius H.S.) caught two touchdown passes at Kent State for his first-ever multiple TD game . . . The two touchdown receptions were the third and fourth of his career.
* Senior placekicker Steven Schott (Massillon, Ohio/Washington H.S.) has now made 20-of-21 field goals from 39 yards or less in his career . . . He connected on a 31-yarder and a 21-yard field goal at Kent State plus made a 44-yard field goal to end 3-for-4 on the day.
* Scott Kovanda (Hartland, Mich./Detroit Catholic H.S.) punted four times at Kent State and pinned the Golden Flashes inside the 20-yard line three times . . . He has now forced opponents to start inside their own 20-yard line on 16 of his 21 punts in 2012.
* Jonathan Newsome (Cleveland, Ohio/Glenville H.S.) recorded two sacks at Kent State and leads the Cardinals with four sacks this year . . . Brandon Newman (Louisville, Ky./Pleasure Ridge H.S.) recorded his first career interception in the fourth quarter at Kent State.
* Scouting Northern Illinois: Northern Illinois improved to 4-1 overall and 1-0 in the Mid-American Conference with a 55-24 home victory over Central Michigan Saturday . . . The Huskies' only loss was an 18-17 defeat vs. Iowa in the season opener at Soldier Field in Chicago, Ill.
* Series vs. Northern Illinois: Ball State and Northern Illinois have met 39 times in a series that dates back to 1941 . . . The Cardinals lead the all-time series 20-17-2 . . . In games played in Muncie, Ind., the Huskies are 9-7 overall . . . NIU tallied a 41-38 win in Dekalb, Ill., in 2011 . . . Ball State is 2-3 in its last five games vs. Northern Illinois.
* Bronze Stalk Game: Beginning in 2008, Ball State and Northern Illinois began a rivalry game known as the Bronze Stalk Game . . . The Cardinals won the initial meeting, but NIU has won the last three.