Women's Tennis Suffers 5-2 Setback at EMU
YPSILANTI, Mich. - The Ball State women's tennis team suffered a 5-2 loss at Eastern Michigan Friday evening indoors at the Chippewa Racket Club.
With the loss the Cardinals fall to 5-10 overall and 0-3 in Mid-American Conference while the Eagles improve to 6-11 overall and 2-0 in MAC play.
Eastern Michigan took the early 1-0 advantage over the Cardinals after sweeping the doubles point. All three of Ball States doubles tandems lost by a score of 8-3.
In singles action, true freshman Courtney Wild earned her first conference victory on court one after defeating the Eagles Nino Mebuke in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Wild leads the team in overall wins improving her singles mark to 16-10 for the fall and spring seasons. Senior co-captain Sarah Hebble also captured a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Mariya Toncheva at the No. 5 position.
Final Score: Eastern Michigan University 5, Ball State University 2
1. Courtney Wild (BSU) def. Nino Mebuke (EMU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Miriam Westerink (EMU) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
3. Ankita Bhatia (EMU) def. Kylee Johnson (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU) def. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
5. Sarah Hebble (BSU) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Marcela Rivero (EMU) def. Dena Boulieris (BSU) 6-4, 6-1