Men's Tennis Earns 4-3 Victory Over Marquette
BOISE, Idaho - The Ball State men's tennis team won a close 4-3 match over Marquette Friday night at the Boise State Spring Break Classic. With the win the Cardinals improve to 13-5 on the season.
Ball State headed into singles action up 1-0 over Marquette after sweeping the doubles point. The twosome of Zane Smith and Derek Carpenter finished first after their 8-5 defeat over Mamalat and Tehrani on court two. Patrick Elliott paired up with Austin Sansone earning an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles to secure the point.
The Cardinals took the 2-0 advantage after Elliott won the first singles match at the No. 6 spot for Ball State. Marquette went up 3-2 over Ball State winning at the No. 1, 5, and 4 spots but Ray Leonard managed a 7-6, 7-5 victory on court two and Zane Smith posted a three set win on court three to claim the victory for the Cardinals.
The Ball State men's tennis team continues action at the Boise State Spring Break Classic Saturday at 12 p.m. (EST) against Utah.
Ball State 4, Marquette 3
1. Albertin/Leonard (BSU) def. Collins/Schwerin (MU), 8-7 (6)
2. Z. Smith/Carpenter (BSU) def. Mamalat/Tehrani (MU), 8-5
3. Elliot/Sansone (BSU) def. Teofanovic/Kakar (MU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Dalton Albertin (BSU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Ray Leonard (BSU) def. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU), 7-6, 7-5
3. Zane Smith (BSU) def. Logon Collins (MU), 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (5)
4. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Alexandre Brym (BSU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Jonathan Schwerin (MU) def. Austin Smith (BSU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Patrick Elliot (BSU) def. Drake Kakar (MU), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5, 4, 2, 3