LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The No. 73 Ball State men's tennis team (12-4) captured a 5-2 victory over Northern Arizona in its last spring break match.
The Cardinals took the first doubles match to open play after Dalton Albertin and Ray Leonard defeated Trevor Unger and Shaun Waters on court one by a score of 8-3. After losing at No. 2 doubles; Ball State's doubles tandem of Patrick Elliott and Austin Sansone responded with a 9-8 victory over Robert Martin and Robin Pezzutto at the No. 3 spot given the Cardinals the doubles point.
Elliott won at No. 6 singles to put Ball State up 2-0 over Northern Arizona. Austin Smith defeated Martin in straight sets on court five and Leonard clinched the match for the Cardinals after beating Dominic Bermudez 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2 singles. Albertin also won his match on court one in three sets.
The No. 73 Ball State men's tennis team will continue spring action March 23-24 at the Boise State Spring Tournament.
No. 73 Ball State 5, Northern Arizona 2
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (1, 2, 3)
1. Albertin (BSU) def. Pezzutto (NAU), 3-6, 6-3, 10-4
2. Leonard (BSU) def. Bermudez (NAU), 6-2, 6-1**
3. Waters (NAU) def. Z. Smith (BSU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Schimmelbauer (NAU) def. Alexandre Brym (BSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Austin Smith (BSU) def. Martin (NAU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Elliott (BSU) def. Steven Say (NAU), 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: (6, 5, 2, 4, 3, 1)