About Ball State Sports Link
The Department of Telecommunications has created a new Digital Sports Production sequence in the existing Digital Production option,
joining Digital Audio, Digital Video and Emerging Media. This sequence will create a new partnership with the School of Physical Education, Sport, and Exercise Science through courses in Sport Administration. It also will include courses from the joint Journalism/TCOM News Track.
This sequence offers skills and applications courses using digital technology to create sports content for distribution across multiple platforms, including interactive and mobile media, tablets, podcasts, and the Internet, plus television and radio. Emphasis is given to live event production. Digital Sports Production prepares students for careers in a developing and changing sports media arena.
Using the immersive learning model of Ball State Sports Link, the Digital Sports Production specializes in multiple areas. Students will learn to produce a broad range of content from live remote productions, live- to-tape events, television programs, student-athlete features and webcasts. Other facets of the program will include radio, social media, podcasts and the use of mobile technology and interactivity via the web.
Students in Digital Sports Production will gain industry-accepted experience in the following areas:
• Live game, cross-platform productions with the use of Ball State’s 40-foot HD production truck
• Studio show and feature story production and storytelling on multiple platforms
• Post-production and editing
• Engineering and broadcast operations
• Archiving and logging footage
• Operation of field and live production cameras, mobile production units
• Operation of replay and broadcast graphic systems
• Non-linear editing with Final Cut Pro or the equivalent
• Building and design of graphics and animations in Adobe Creative Suite
• Cross-platform delivery methods, formats, compression and encoding
• Producing sports content for cross-platforms including broadcast, online, mobile and tablet applications