Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship
Quicken Loans Arena (Capacity 20,562)
Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 1 p.m.
• Radio - WERK 104.9 (Jay Garrison), WCRD 91.3
• Television - Time Warner Cable Ohio/ESPN3/BCSN2
• Talent - Mike Cairns and Jacki Windon
• Internet- www.mac-sports.com
The Cardinals Nest
- All five starters scored in double figures to lift the Ball State women’s basketball team to a thrilling 73-55 win over 25th-ranked Bowling Green in semifinal action of the 2014 Mid-American Conference Tournament Friday afternoon in Quicken Loans Arena. With its seventh-straight victory, the fifth-seeded Cardinals (18-15) advance to the MAC Tournament Championship game for the first time since winning it all in 2009. Ball State, which will be making its fifth championship game appearance, will face No. 3 Akron at 1 p.m. Saturday in Quicken Loans Arena..
- This season marks the 24th appearance in the Mid-American Conference Tournament in program history. Ball State has advanced to Cleveland in 13 out of the past 15 seasons. The Cardinals are 20-22 all-time in MAC Tournament play and have advanced to the MAC Tournament finals on five occasions. Ball State defeated Bowling Green in 2009 in the MAC Tournament Championship game.
- Akron entered the Mid-American Conference as the No. 3 seed where they received an automatic bye after posting 22-9 overall record and a 14-4 league mark. The last time Ball State faced Akron in the Mid-American Conference Tournament was in 2013 under the direction of Ball State head coach Brady Sallee. The game was played in Quicken Loans Arena where the Cardinals lost to the Zips by a score of 70-61 in the MAC semifinal game. That year Ball State was the No. 2 seed out of the MAC West Divison while Akron was the No. 3 seed in the MAC East. The Cardinals and the Zips have met a total of three times in the MAC Tournament in 2005, 2006 and 2013, with Ball State winning two of the three meetings.
- Sophomore guard Nathalie Fontaine and senior guard Brandy Woody were both honored by the Mid-American Conference Monday afternoon, when the league announced the 2013-14 All-MAC awards as voted on by the league’s 12 head coaches. Fontaine, picked up All-MAC Second Team honors for the second straight season, while Woody was named to the Honorable Mention squad.
- Akron is 0-1 when playing the No. 5 seed in the Mid-American Conference Tournament and also 0-1 when playing in the MAC championship title game.