TOLEDO, Ohio - The No. 4 Ball State men's tennis team (18-10) ended its season with a 4-3 loss to No. 1 Buffalo, Friday afternoon in the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament.
The Cardinals started the match off with a 1-0 advantage after winning the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles Dalton Albertin and Ray Leonard took down Wojtek Starakiewicz and Vusa Hove by a score of 8-2. Ball State would lose on court three but would prevail at No. 2 doubles with a 9-8 (7-5) victory from Zane Smith and Derek Carpenter.
In singles action, Leonoard won in three sets to give Ball State the 2-0 edge over the Bulls. Buffalo came back to win at No. 5 singles to make the score 2-1 but Ball State answered back with a victory from Alexandre Brym on court six making it a 3-1 match for the Cardinals. Buffalo then won at No. 3, 4 and two singles to win the close match over the Cardinals advancing the Bulls to the championship match.
(1) Buffalo def. (4) Ball State, 4-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Ray Leonard (BSU) def. Damien David (UB), 2-6, 6-0, 6-0
2. Vusa Hove (UB) def. Dalton Albertin (BSU), 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
3. Wojtek Starakiewicz (UB) def. Zane Smith (BSU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Ivan Vereschahga (UB) def. Austin Smith (BSU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Alex Kalinin (UB) def. Patrick Elliott (BSU), 7-5, 6-3
6. Alexandre Brym (BSU) def. Jason Shkodnik (UB), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6, 3, 4, 2