Game #4 - Presented by Burkhart Advertising
Ball State Cardinals (2-1; MAC 1-0)
Head Coach: Pete Lembo
Career Record: 87-43/12th year
At Ball State: 8-7/2nd year
USF Bulls (2-1; Big East 0-1)
Head Coach: Skip Holtz
Career Record: 15-13/3rd year
At USF: 87-63/13th year
Sat., Sept. 22, 2012 -- 4:30 p.m. (ET)
Scheumann Stadium (22,500)
Field Turf -- Muncie, Ind.
Ball State Radio Network
Flagship Station - WLBC FM 104.1
Joel Godett, play-by-play
Mark O'Connell, color analyst
Jeff Weller, host
WCRD-Radio (Ball State Student Station)
Pat Boylan, play-by-play
Timmy Fogarty, color analyst
Big East Network/ESPN3
Eamon McAnaney (Play-by-Play)
David Diaz-Infante (Analyst)
Listen to the Coach
- Monday Night w/ the Red & White Radio Show at Applebee's 7-7:45
- Thursday - Cardinal Endzone TV Show Featuring Head Coach Pete Lembo - 6 p.m. - WIPB-TV, Muncie
- Football Friday Inside Luncheon - 11:45 a.m. at Ball State Alumni Center - $15 per person
Follow the Cardinals:
• Ball State Football Quick Hits . . . . . .
* Ball State tallied a 41-39 win at Indiana Saturday, marking the third straight meeting between the two teams the Cardinals have won. Ball State defeated the Hoosiers in 2008 in Bloomington, Ind. (42-20) and in 2011 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind. (27-20).
* Ball State ranks 14th in the nation in rushing offense with a 262.33 yards-per-game average. The Cardinals rushed for 329 yards in the season opener vs. Eastern Michigan, 252 yards against the nation's 12th-ranked Clemson Tigers and 206 yards against Big Ten Conference opponent Indiana.
* Ball State's defense recorded three sacks at Indiana. It was the most sacks in a game for the Cardinals since posting four in last year's season opener vs. the Hoosiers.
* The Cardinals have played on television 26 times in the last three seasons and the USF game will appear on the Big East Network and ESPN3.
* Keith Wenning has started the last 25 games at quarterback for the Cardinals.
* Wenning threw three touchdown passes at Indiana and made his first career TD reception on a pass from wide receiver Jamill Smith. The three TD passes tied his career high and the four by the Cardinals tied for the fifth most in program history. The last time Ball State threw four touchdown passes in a game was Nov. 6, 2010, vs. Akron.
* In net punting, Ball State ranks seventh in the NCAA statistics with a 42.6 average. The Cardinals are tied for 20th in the nation in punt return yardage defense. Ball State has allowed only two punt returns on 15 punts in 2012 for 2.0 yards-per-return average.
* Ball State is tied for 13th in the nation for fewest sacks allowed after allowing only 0.67 sacks per game in the first three games of 2012. The Cardinals finished the 2011 season ranked 12th in the nation after allowing only 11 sacks on the season.
* Ball State managed 596 yards in total offense vs. Eastern Michigan. The Cardinals gained 329 yards rushing and 267 yards passing. The 596 yards marked the fourth highest single-game total in Cardinals history. Ball State set a school record with 36 first downs and ran 96 total plays, the third most in school history.
* The 78,000 people that watched Ball State at Clemson marked the ninth largest crowd to ever watch the Cardinals play.
* Senior placekicker Steven Schott (Massillon, Ohio/Washington H.S.), who has connected on 50 consecutive extra point kicks, made a 42-yard field goal as time expired to give Ball State a 41-39 victory at Indiana . . . It marked the second game-winning kick of his career in the final minute of a game . . . Schott made a 44-yard field goal with nine seconds left to defeat Eastern Michigan in 2011 . . . His extra point streak is the second longest in program history, trailing only Ian McGarvey's 63 in a row during the 2007 and 2008 seasons.
* Ball State junior quarterback Keith Wenning (Coldwater, Ohio/Coldwater H.S.) is only the eighth quarterback in Ball State history to throw for 4,000 yards or more in a career . . . Wenning, who threw for 222 yards at Indiana, has now passed for 4,776 yards and ranks fourth in Ball State history . . . Wenning needs 1,127 passing yards to move into third and pass Talmadge Hill, who threw for 5,902 yards from 2000-03 . . . Wenning needs 224 passing yards to become only the fourth quarterback in Ball State history to throw for 5,000 or more career yards.
* Jamill Smith (Muncie, Ind./South H.S.) set a career high with nine catches at Indiana . . . He compiled 194 all-purpose yards against the Hoosiers plus completed his first career collegiate pass when he connected with junior quarterback Keith Wenning on a 12-yard pass in the third quarter.
* Sophomore running back Jahwan Edwards (Matthews, N.C./Butler H.S.) rushed for 78 yards and one touchdown on 21 carries at Indiana . . . Edwards now has rushed for 1,118 career yards and 15 career touchdowns . . . He needs one rushing TD to tie for 10th on Ball State's career chart . . . Edwards has four rushing touchdowns this season.
* Senior punter Scott Kovanda (Hartland, Mich./Detroit Catholic Central H.S.) punted seven times for 263 yards and pinned Indiana inside the 20-yard line five times . . . He has now pinned opponents inside the 20-yard line on 11 of his 15 punts this season . . . Kovanda owns a 41.3 career punt average, which ranks third all-time in Ball State history.
* Scouting USF: The USF Bulls are 2-1 after suffering a 23-13 Big East Conference loss to Rutgers last Thursday . . . USF defeated UT-Chattanooga (34-13) and Nevada (32-31) to open the season.
* Series vs. USF: The two teams met for the first time last season with the Bulls tallying a 37-7 win in Tampa, Fla.
* Family Weekend Promotions: Game Sponsor: Burkhart Advertising . . . Four Pack Ticket Deal (4 general admission tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 small Pepsi products and four bags of chips for $60) . . . Chase Charlie Kiddie 100 Race at halftime . . . www.bsu.edu/familyweekend to register to be the Official Family of Family Weekend . . . Tailgate Town opens at 1:30.